WHERE AM I?

I wasted a day today - I was simply watched. I did nothing to benefit anyone or to hurt another... or myself. 

Or maybe I did, or didn't... it's difficult to know. What the price of sorrow or delight - convenience or security? Did my presence stimulate the economy?

It cost $69.59 in other people's money to hold me here today. I am inventory - an invesment. Were I missing for even part of a day, it would cause a panic, thus, I am meaningful to at least some, but I was not missing today, thus, no panic - so nobody noticed me.

Fed morning and night, meals - prepared in bulk - calculated for optimum nutritional and caloric value. Standard fare, with occasional treats and drink, pushing and shoving with others milling about, through a small hole in a wall.

During the day I am released amongst the others of my kind, staff casually walking within the enclosures checking for injuries, conflicts or concerns, but at night I am caged for the protection of others as if my dangerousness increases with the setting sun. I am observed and recorded through glass and camera by some with awe, others with wonder, all with a discerning eye.

Inspectors will come and check the conditions within which I am housed and live, while uniformed staff are on their best behavior. Professionals will weigh in and politicians will tour the facilities with the administrators, all 'oohing' and 'ahhing' over all "they" have done, all "they" have accomplished - commenting on how well I am doing, and how well I am treated while here.

Where am I?...

PRISON or ZOO? You decide.