ISCC EDUCATION DEPARTMENT RENEGES ON LAPTOP COMPUTER PROMISE - PATIENCE SEEMINGLY NOT ENOUGH

For several years, almost in secret, the ISCC Education department, administered by David Mehlhaff of the Robert Janss School District (the Idaho school district consisting only of IDOC prison facilities) has issued laptop computers to certain inmates to use/keep in their cell or other living area. Ostensibly, these computers were to be used for college level correspondence courses paid for by the prisoners themselves.


In a "don't ask - don't tell" policy, privileged prisoners would have a course approved, receive a laptop computer, then complete (or in most cases drop the course) and keep the computer, sometimes for years in their cell, with the knowledge and tacit permission of the education department.

In 2022, Mehlhaff authorized issuing laptops to ISCC prisoners who worked as teacher's assistants (TA's) in the education department, even if they were not enrolled in any education or computer-based courses. This was soon extended to inmates who were enrolled in computer classes but had (non-education) jobs that interfered with regular attendance.

Later, as more computers became available, primarily through COVID-19 funding, the laptop program was extended, I was promised that, as a full-time student in computer-based courses (HTML/CSS/JavaScript coding and [Intuit] Accounting/Quickbooks) I too would receive a laptop to augment my studies, but because I was not a worker (now disabled) I would be placed on the 'non-worker' list. According to Mehlhaff I was #6 on that list in May, 2022. "Patience," said Mehlhaff. "We'll get you a laptop, but it might be awhile."

Watching laptops appear virtually everywhere and assigned to inmates I knew did not qualify based on the information provided to me, I inquired several times throughout the year as to my position on the list to receive a laptop. In July 2022, I was still #6 on the list according to Mehlhaff's written response to my inquiry. In August 2022, I was informed by the education department that I was Number 1 on the non-worker list to receive a laptop (after having completed the Idaho State University Administrative Services program), though I personally knew of several prisoners who had no job - and some not even enrolled in education programs - who received laptops.

In mid-September 2022 I spoke with Marshall Bautista, an instructor in the Voc. 2 Computer lab at the ISCC and the person responsible for programming and securing the laptops in preparation for inmate use. Mr. Bautista stated that there was a shortage of laptop power supplies (chargers) but that they had been ordered, and once received, the issuing of laptops would resume. That same morning, I spoke with Mehlhaff and verified my position on the list, and was told that once the power supplies were received, I would receive [my] laptop.

On November 16, 2022, in response to my written inquiry, Mr. Bautista informed me - in writing - that the power supplies ordered had been received and that I was on the top of the [laptop] list for 'non-college', 'non-education worker'. A few days later, I spoke with Mr. Mehlhaff, who told me that I would now have to wait a bit longer because ISCC administrators had approved inmate dog handlers (and their back-ups) to receive laptops (for some unremembered but irrational reason - they've never used laptops in the 20+ years of the IDOC dog program), but that yes, I was still first on the list to receive one - after the dog handlers... and to "just be patient".

In early December 2022 I once again spoke with Mr. Bautista, and during our conversation, he mentioned that only TA's, education workers and those in college-level correspondence courses were to receive laptops. Concerned, I immediately went to Mr. Mehlhaff's office where he once again verified that yes, I was to receive a laptop as a non-education worker, and that I was first on the list when a laptop became available. My patience was wearing thin.

On December 21, 2022 I had occasion to speak with Mr. Bautista in his lab. He informed me that there was no longer a list for non-education workers to receive laptops. I again went directly to Mehlhaff, who, after I told him of the conversation with Mr. Bautista, simply shrugged his shoulders and went back into his office, leaving me standing in the hallway wondering where it all went wrong.

Upon a bit of investigation into the Iaptop matter, I learned several things, and patience had nothing to do with it.

Inmates who have not been actively enrolled in ANY classes for months/years still have laptops. Inmates who "volunteer" as TA's - but are not workers (but have buddies that are TA's) have been issued laptops. Inmates who have been found guilty of disciplinary offenses within the past 6 months still have laptops (despite being DOR free for 6 months is prerequisite to receiving one). Some inmates are using the laptops for decidedly non-education purposes, having been allowed to download programs/data not necessary for the courses in which they are enrolled, and some are 'renting' the computers to others.

In further investigation, I was was also able to determine that the five prisoners ahead of me on the 'non-worker' list were in fact issued laptops, as were at least three inmates behind me on the list. They all still have the laptops

Now I must decide if the work and dedication I have shown to completing the education courses over the past year, setting an example for those younger prisoners who are just starting their education in prison - education needed for rehabilitation and opportunities once released - are all for naught, or if I just need a bit more patience before the whole thing goes away...

We'll see...